Monday, September 15, 2008

Guess who has been in Korea for a month now?!?!

That's right, I have been in Korea for a month now and I have to say it has been a pretty great month. I am only now starting to get a bit homesick for the first time and I am not sure if you would even call it homesick, but in general, I am missing the company of other Americans, strangely enough. I know each individual is different and I am certainly a bit of an oddity amongst anyone period, but I have found that there are some strange differences between the Canadians I have met in contrast to Americans, And those differences are something that I can't quite put my finger on.


I think some of the Canadians I have met sometimes come off as looking for my flaws as an American. Yes, I am dumb enough that I couldn't even name a single Canadian provience, but that is not to say that I am completely self-centered. Blame part of that on my public education, which even I know wasn't the greatest. And seriously, since I have never known one Canadian up until about a month ago, how would I honestly know much about Canada unless I went out of my way to do my own research? There isn't that much public exposure of Canada in the U.S. The U.S. owns most of the media so therefore, all of the news you hear is U.S. news. Most of the TV shows that people watch are U.S. based. Hence why people around the world know tons of information about the U.S.



I might also add that I am a terrible example of a typical American. I hate football and pretty much all other competitive sports, I don't shop at Abercrombie and Finch, I think the military sucks, and most of my social and political views are in the minority. Come to think of it, I felt alone and isolated for the most part back in the states, so I am not sure what I am bitching about.

Back home, it is not like it even mattered if people understood me. In terms of being in Korea, however, it is important to me. But I guess in the grand of scheme of things the only concrete difference between Canadians and Americans I have REALLY found is this: