Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Girlfriend in a Bubble



Lately, I have been fascinated by all the cute toys you can get out of the vending machines outside of some stores. My new favorite as of today are the super-sexy bubble girls! I did a bit of research on them when I got home and found out that most of the toys are produced by Bandai, the Japanese toy company that makes Tamagachi, the digital pocket pets that were popular when I was in middle school. These vending machines are called "Gashapon" in Japan.... I am not 100% sure what they are called here in Korea but I know they are common in the lobby area of Lotte Mart and E-Mart here in Suji.

"Gashapon are the nifty encapsuled toys and trinkets found just about anywhere in Japan. Gashapon machines are basically they are toy vending machines, randomly dispensing their wares when money is inserted and the handle is turned. Turn the handle--"gasha!"--and "pon!", out comes the toy!"

For more information about the phenomena:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gashapon



Here are my pictures of the girls in the bubbles I picked up today!